How To Make a Bootable Pendrive using Command Prompt
It does not matter if you are non-techy or a geek, you want things to be completed the easy way. Making a bootable pen drive is that alternative option you must choose while you installing an operating system.
These days as we have all the facilities, we do not want to get into those burning ISO kind of stuff. It is not only a long process but also an irritating one. There are so many things you need to do. First, you have to copy the data from the DVD/CD then need to burn it using third party software.
So let me tell you the benefit of bootable pen drive first, then I am going to elaborate on the process and show you how you can create one very easily.
So make the checklist first,
- Need to have a Pendrive
- Need to have an ISO file of the OS
- Need a Windows system
- Need to execute the commands successfully.
So, there you go, with this checklist you can easily create a bootable pen drive for installing any Operating System.
In this article, I am going to tell you how you can make bootable pen drive very easily and install any OS. Just follow these below steps properly.
Step 1: Make a bootable pen drive:
- Insert a USB flash drive into a running computer.
- Now open the Command Prompt as an administrator by pressing Win Key + R.
- If Run box popped up, type “diskpart “
- To be confirmed about the USB flash drive number, at the command prompt, You need to type “list disk“, and then click ENTER. This particular command displays all the disks available on that computer. Note the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive.
- At the command prompt, type select disk <X >, where X is the drive number or drive letter of the USB flash drive, and then click ENTER, generally it is disk 1.
- Type clean, and then click ENTER. it will delete all data from the USB flash drive if you execute this particular command.
- Type create part primary and then click ENTER. This will create a new primary partition on the USB flash drive,
- Type Select Part 1 and then click ENTER. It will select the partition that you just created.
- To format the partition, type format fs=ntfs quick and then click ENTER. It will format the partition with NTFS file format for windows OS. And for Linux OS it would be format fs=FAT32.
- Type active, and then click ENTER.
- Type exit, and then click ENTER.
- When you finish preparing your USB drive bootable, save the OS media (extracted) to the USB flash drive.
With this process, you can easily make a USB flash drive bootable. But still, I am going to mention some extra steps for your convenience.
Step 2: Creating the Boot Sector
Just remember one thing, If the USB drive is the E: drive and the DVD installer is located on drive F:, then, we will navigate the command prompt to set installation DVD as its active directory.
- Command Prompt’s active directory for Administrator is on C:\Windows\System32> By default. We will navigate through the Command Prompt to set on DVD (F:) as its active directory.
- Just type ” f ” and hit Enter, now the directory will be changed to F:
- Type ‘ and hit Enter. Active directory changed to F:\boot>.
- Type and hit Enter. Creating the boot sector on D: drive (USB flash drive).
- Type ‘‘ and hit Enter to close the Command Prompt.
- Until this step, we have made a bootable USB drive successfully, and the flash drive is ready to be used as a boot media.
Add one more command after the formatting is complete. type "active" (time @2:33) This will activate the new created partition on your pendrive. then type "assign".
Step 3: Copying Installation Files to flash drive
If you want to install any kind of Windows OS from a bootable USB drive, you just need to copy the whole installation files, but make sure it is extracted. you can not copy an zip or iso file into a bootable USB drive.
You have to Wait until all the files from the DVD installer copied to the flash drive. If the copy has been finished, now bootable USB drive is ready to be used for installing Windows from a flash drive and you’re done!
- Note: you can also use third-party tools to make a pen drive bootable. There is some available software like Rufus can help as well.
So, guys, I have tried my best to simplify things so that you can have a better understanding and user experience. Now it’s your turn to pay me back.
I am expecting your responses. If you like or dislike this content make a comment. Your responses will motivate me to do better and deliver better. So your responses will inspire me and I will try my best to improve my skill.
So thank you guys, Have a good day.
This site is absolutely fabulous!
Thanks, buddy! Appreciate it.
Keep up the great work guyz.
Thanks, buddy! I am really glad that you like my content. Appreciate it.